No Wind!!!

Air temp: 84 degrees
Humidity: 57% Barometer: 1023 mb and steady
Speed: 4.0 knots Course: 030 degrees magnetic
Noon to noon distance made in nautical miles for the last 24 hours: 81 miles
Point of Sail: Port Close reach with Genoa and single reefed main for balance
Wind speed: Northeast at 8 knots
Swells: East at 4 ft.
Noon Latitude: 34 deg 11′ N (Same latitude as Los Angeles) Noon Longitude: 154 deg 52′ W Camanoe’s fish count since Maui: Flying fish – 5 Squid – 0
Breakfast today: 2 intstant oatmeal packets strawberry and creme and 3 fistfull’s of crackers
Lunch today: 1 Peanut butter and jelly sandwich, 1 Tangerine, and 3 handfulls of mini pretzels
Dinner tonight: Steak, corn, and a deliciously cold mango

Today was mostly windless. The day started around 0200 in the morning with the sails flopping. I vaguely remember coaxing the boat back into the light wind and getting the speed up enough for Windy the wind vane to steer. I also vaguely remember the refrigeration compressor running at that time. Just after I crawled back into the bunk, slat, slat, bang, goes the windless sails again. After another 45 minutes, I find the lightest trace of wind and get the boat going again. Then I realized, “Hey, the reefer is still running. Wait a second, the temperature should be much colder than 20 degrees in the freezer after all this time.” After careful inspection, half asleep, at 0400 in the morning, I realize there is no refrigerant going through the sight glass. I think, “Shit, there goes all my food. I must have a refrigerant leak.” The inlet and outlet refrigerant lines weren’t even cool or hot. Next logical step, I turn off the breaker to the compressor. “I must have hit the wrong breaker, the compressor is still running. Nope, that was the correct breaker. Screw it, I will trip the main power breaker for the whole system and deal with it later. I need sleep.” With the reefer shut off I crawl back in bed, thinking, “I will have to eat a lot of steak today before it thaws out and goes bad.” Before I shut my eyes, bang bang slat goes the sails. “That’s it, I’m dropping the sails, it’s time to drift around.” Ten minutes later I have the sails dropped. Five minutes after that, the wind picks up. So up goes the sails again. Once they are up and trimmed, the winds starts to build; great! By then I can just barely see the sun coming up on the distant horizon. “I’m up now, lets make some coffee and look at the reefer system.” Like an idiot, I stared at the system for 10 minutes until it dawned on me the compressor breaker only controls a 12-volt solenoid for the compressor. Two taps with a wrench on the solenoid and all is fixed; at least temporarily. If the solenoid stuck once, it will stick again and kill my batteries. I will have to replace it. Good thing I have a spare on board. Basically, the compressor was running when it should have been off thanks to a frozen stuck solenoid; so no refrigerant was flowing through it. Refrigerant is now flowing through the sight glass with no bubbles and the compressor is half full of oil, so no damage done, hopefully. I’m still having steak for dinner though!

Five minutes later I hear a slat slat bang bang. I try to coax the wind into the sails for an hour, but no luck. I eventually gave up and began motoring for several hours. Just long enough to charge the batteries to 100%. Since then I have just bearly been ghosting along at 1-2 knots, hand steering, trying to follow the light light winds. I HATE MOTORING! With in the last hour the wind has come up and we are close-hauled once again, even if only for a little while. Camanoe is just to the southeast of the Pacific High so I expect light winds for the next few days, if not the next week.

Today was still awesome. It’s beautiful out here. I read for several hours. I went swimming several times while the boat was stopped. The water is still beautifully blue and full of trash.

While motoring I saw something few people have ever seen!!!! A swordfish, possibly a Marlin, but I don’t think so. It was at least six feet long following the boat for an hour. It would stay 2-3 feet behind the boat lunging underneath it every minute or so to try and grab the smaller fish underneath Camanoe. Then it would angle itself on it’s side and drift/swim back behind the boat. It was at least four feet underneath the surface the whole time. I had my pole in the water with the lure about 200 feet behind the boat. I’m glad it didn’t take a crack at that. According to what I have read, many a fisherman have lost their boats due to swordfish ramming the boat with their snouts while being reeled in. Apparently they are prized fish because they put up such a fight, and they taste great, like pizza or chicken mcnuggets.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s