Day 17: Nothing Much Going on Here

Air temp: 75 degrees
Humidity: 72% Barometer: 1018 mb and steady
Speed: 5-6 knots Course: 270 degrees magnetic
Distance Left to Hilo Hawaii: 525 miles left to go
Point of Sail: Broad Reach with headsail only towards Hawaii. Waiting for the wind to veer back around for Dead downwind Wind speed: Northeast 12-15 knots
Swells: East at 6-8 ft.
Camanoe’s fish count: Flying fish – 21 Squid – 6

It has been a calm day around here. Which is of course, very welcomed. The wind dropped to less than ten knots for awhile and then finally backed around more to the north-northeast at 12-15 kts. The swells have been relatively small all day; Six to eight feet. So, it has been relatively calm compared to the last two weeks. We are still moving along at a solid five knots though. The GPS claims we have had a five knot moving average since leaving Nuevo Vallarta. It also thinks our top speed so far was 236 knots per hour. I must have slept through it. When it is calm, I take the opportunity to clean. I bleached the galley and surrounding area again. It needed it. It seems like every time I make a meal, I end up with a mess and a new bruise to show for it. Of course, I also end up with an appetite.

Yesterday evening we had our first gear problem. Otherwise, everything is holding up great. The trolling generator developed a hockle – AKA, a kink – in the line near the turbine. When we are surfing down a large wave it has a tendency to jump out of the water and temporarily kink. It normally clears the kink in a minute or so. It must have been kinked for a awhile and I didn’t notice, because when I finally reeled it in, lots of fun at six plus knots, the line had chafed almost entirely through at the kink. As a temporary fix, I ended up cutting off about a foot of the trolling line and tying a bowline and reattaching the turbine. So far I haven’t seen a noticeable decrease in output power.

Last night around 2200 we had what I would consider to be our first squall. The wind picked up to about 25-30 knots and then started raining. A light rain for sure, but enough to soak the deck in a few minutes. Throughout the night we had multiple periods of heavy winds and rain. The wonderful thing about sailing downwind with a roller furling headsail and no main sail is it’s easy to reduce canvas. We have had multiple events like this throughout the trip, but never more than a heavy mist, and a strong gust which never lasted more than a 1/2 hour. So, I won’t count those as squalls.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s